George Davies Turf is a leading independent turf supplier, supplying to golf courses, housing developers, landscaping contractors and more.
George Davies Turf is a leading independent turf supplier. Established in 2001, the company has continued to expand and supplies turf to a growing number of golf courses, leading housing developers, landscaping contractors and a huge number of residential gardens.
- The previous system no longer reflected the way business was conducted
- Required a new solution to manage sales, planning & delivery of orders and accounts
- In the previous system, speed to access key information and record new orders was time-consuming
- Planning & delivery previously managed manually
- Lack of insights and analysis
- Little integration between departments
- Implement latest version of Dynamics 365, including Unified Interface
- Design and implement standard ‘quote, order and product catalogue’ functionality
- Re-architect the sales process from start to finish
- On-board all departments onto Dynamics 365
- Implement custom-built functionality for planning & delivery
- Establish Twilio SMS integration with Dynamics 365
- Implement Power BI
- Improved overall operational efficiency
- Increased employee productivity
- Time saved on day-to-day activities – Through the implementation of Power BI, George Davies Turf now save 3 hours per week which was previously used generating manual reports. This is now completely automated using real-time data as opposed to once every week
- Improved insight for decision-making
- Connected departments
"Implementing the latest version of Dynamics 365 including the Unified Interface has really improved the speed in which George Davies Turf employees work in their day to day tasks. Also, on-boarding the planning delivery team has increased collaboration and centralised all their operational data, allowing management to get the insights they have been lacking."
Jamie Evans, Technical Director at PragmatiQ Solutions
Prior to engaging with PragmatiQ Solutions, George Davies Turf used a system to track the sales side of the business. However, they recognised that the functionality within this system no longer reflected the way business is conducted and required a new solution to manage sales, planning & delivery of orders & accounts.
As George Davies Turf continues to expand, the clunky nature of the previous system was not enough to support the teams, made access to key information and the speed in which quotes & orders were created, a challenge. Data lacked separation and appeared all on one screen, so searching for the relevant information took longer than necessary and slowed processes down. As many orders are taken on the phone, it is essential that data can be found quickly and can be input into the system in a short time frame, which was not possible due to the impractical functionality within the old system.
On top of this, most of the planning & delivery side of the business was managed manually, with records and notes being kept on paper. As a result, there was room for error and miscommunication, as well as being more time-consuming than systemised processes. Challenges also arose when information needed to be accessed quickly. As the information was not within a system, it needed to be manually searched for and slowed down other processes. Another concern for George Davies Turf was the lack of insights and analysis around this side of the business. Many of the processes were paper-based, reporting became cumbersome and the limits of what could be reported on within the system had been reached. However, George Davies Turf recognised the importance of this to improve efficiency and decision making; this was one of the key outcomes for the new solution.
Finally, there was little integration between departments; accounts, planning & delivery and sales. Due to many processes being completed manually, teams lacked visibility of other workloads which resulted in a disjointed approach and a huge amount of manual communication. For business continuity, this was also a concern, as lack of systemised processes meant knowledge was contained to that department and would be a challenge if certain individuals were off, or left the business.
Alongside solving the above challenges, other key goals to be achieved are outlined below:
- Improve overall operational & process efficiency
- Better support for management decision-making
- Improve employee productivity
To achieve the main goals for George Davies Turf we proposed an implementation of the latest version of Microsoft Dynamics 365, leveraging the Unified Interface, which also achieved additional speed improvements and a better user experience. Within the system we designed and implemented standard ‘quote, order and product catalogue’ functionality, which enabled quotes and orders to be generated quickly and efficiently, improving the time taken when on the phone to a customer. By introducing these additional entities, information within the system was segmented and easier to find, which was previously a challenge, as there was little separation of data.
We also re-architected the sales process and streamlined the stages from start to finish, aligning this with the way George Davies Turf conducts business. This ensured that the system is used to support sales, as opposed to hinder it and slow employees down.
To improve operational efficiency and the flow between departments, multiple processes were automated and a reliance on manual processes was reduced. To assist with this goal, all departments were on-boarded onto Dynamics 365, whereas previously only the sales team leveraged the system. This eliminated both the need for manual communication and time spent searching for data, as well as the reliance on employee knowledge, as processes were now standardised within the system.
For planning & delivery, custom-built functionality was implemented which allowed George Davies Turf to gain a full overview of this process, track incoming and outgoing loads, deliveries and high-level stock calculations. Previously this process was managed mainly on paper and involved manual communication between departments. Twilio SMS integration with Dynamics 365 was also established in this project, to enable George Davies turf to easily and quickly communicate with their customers, when an order is due to be delivered.
Towards the end of this project Power BI was implemented, transforming the previous cumbersome and time-consuming reporting process. As the previous system did not contain all of the information across departments, the data could not be truly reported on and give an accurate representation of the operations of the business. We created dashboards giving visibility into sales, planning & deliveries, suppliers, etc. As a result, managers would gain increased insight into data, allowing them to make more informed strategic decisions.
Through the implementation of our proposed solution, the following benefits were realised:
- Improved overall operational efficiency – By implementing Dynamics 365, George Davies Turf now have all data stored on one system. This has increased visibility across departments, streamlined operational efficiency and has reduced the need for manual processes.
- Increased employee productivity – Restructuring the system to reflect their processes means employees no longer have to input information, which is not relevant to their sale, just to get through to the next stage. As a result, productivity has been increased and the time taken to complete a sale, particularly on the phone, has been reduced. Additionally, planning & delivery have full visibility of processes within the system and can manage deliveries and orders more effectively.
- Time saved on day-to-day activities – Functionality was implemented which generates and sends quotes and orders within the system, sends SMS messages to customers and automatically calculates prices. As a result, employees are supported in their day-to-day activities and saves time. Through the implementation of Power BI, George Davies Turf now also save 3 hours per week which was previously used generating manual reports. This is now completely automated using real-time data as opposed to once every week.
- Improved insight for decision-making – We implemented Microsoft Power BI to enhance reporting capabilities, a time-consuming process which was previously completed manually based only on limited data within the system. George Davies Turf can now report on their data from one central application, which will lead to hours of time saved on administration compiling the reports, immediate access to live and accurate data and therefore will vastly improve decision-making abilities.
- Connected departments – Previously, it was only the sales team who used the system for their core activities. As a result, departments were disconnected and relied heavily on manual communication to ensure orders are accurate and delivered on time. By on-boarding the planning & delivery team and the accounts department, the flow of information internally has been enhanced, is more accurate and ensures that everyone is accessing the same information.